What can I expect when I contact ITIS?
All communication with the ITIS counselor will be confidential and voluntary. Relevant published information about exposures will be discussed, and potential benefits and risks of individual exposures will be explained. You may be asked questions about:
- Exposures to medications, chemicals, illnesses or other exposures of concern
- The dates during which the exposure(s) occurred and the dose or amount of the exposure
- Your health, the health of other family members, and about any previous pregnancies
Our services are typically provided by telephone counseling. If you have a question you would like to ask a counselor, please contact us at (800) 252-4847 or (312) 981-4354 for a free telephone consultation. Normal business hours for ITIS are Tuesday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (CST). If you prefer to contact a counselor by email, please fill out this form and you will receive a response within one business day.
If you live outside of Illinois, please click here to find a Teratogen Information Service (TIS) in your area, or call (866) 626-6847 and you will be connected to your nearest TIS.
- This website was created and is maintained by the Illinois Teratogen Information Service (ITIS).
- This website is for educational purposes only; ITIS does not replace obstetrical care nor does it prescribe or recommend medications.
- It is often difficult to prove whether a drug or agent is completely safe during pregnancy, or whether it may be responsible for causing birth defects.
- ITIS makes reasonable efforts to see that no inaccurate or misleading data is presented. However, information about birth defects and pregnancy exposures is rapidly changing. For this reason, it is important to note the publication date of the information you obtain online.
- Patients should always consult their health care provider for information and clinical care.
- Links and/or resources are provided for informational purposes only; their inclusion does not imply endorsement.